The Hunger Council of Washington County was one of the first two pilot councils launched with support from Northfield Savings Bank in 2006. Washington and Chittenden Counties are Vermont’s two most populous counties and pioneered the Hunger Council model. In the first three pilot years, both Washington and Chittenden County Councils were instrumental in:
- Expanding access to 3SquaresVT (formerly known as food stamps) to more Vermonters statewide.
- Passing state legislation to provide free breakfast to all low-income students in Vermont in 2008 and in advocating for the passage of similar legislation for lunch in 2013.
- Passing the 2009 Child Nutrition Omnibus bill that helped feed children during the summer, in school, and in afterschool programs.
The Co-Chairs of this Council are:
Eileen Peltier, Executive Director, Downstreet Housing and Community Development
Tawnya Kristen, Executive Director, Green Mountain United Way
The Hunger Council of Washington County meets next on March 30th at Downstreet Housing and Community Development in Barre. Draft agenda coming soon.
For the 2016/2017 meeting schedule, the Hunger Council meets on:
- October 6th
- December 15th - 2:30 - 4:30 (Note Time Change)
- March 30th - Downstreet Housing and Community Development (Note Location Change)
- May 25th
All meetings are from 2:00 - 4:00 at Capstone Community Action, 20 Gable Place, Barre, unless otherwise noted.
In March 2016, the Hunger Council published a Letter to the Editor in support of the Zap the Gap Campaign as a way to increase access to afterschool and summer meals and programming. The Letter to the Editor was published in the Times Argus, and is available HERE.
Meeting Minutes Archives:
|March 30||January 28||January 21||January 15||January 10||February 8||Feburary 10||January 12||February 11||January 8||November 28|
|May 25||May 5||March 18||March 20||March 14||June 7||May 12||October 9||May 21||March 12|
||May 13||May 15||May 9||September 13||September 14||September 10||June 9||June 4|
| December 15
||September 24||September 17||November 7||November 1||November 16||October 14||November 12||November 10||October 1|
|December 3||November 19||December 12|